This morning we took a coach from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia. I was not looking forward to 5 hours on the bus (sure, we're prepared for 4 weeks on a bus around Europe!) but it was very comfortable. They served a meal and drinks and it passed pretty quickly. As usual I was gazing out the window with camera in hand. The roads are great. There is a 4+ lane highway (dual-carriageway) from Singapore to KL and it continues to Penang and possibly up to Thailand too. Apart from some inevitable road works, the roads are in good condition. We don't even have a decent motorway from Auckland to Hamilton yet!
Uncle Bin and Grace's Dad were waiting there to pick us up. Grace's Grandmother lives in Klang, a town about 20mins away. There we met Uncle Chee and his wife, Grandma, Uncle Lai. Such a big family! I drew a family tree (with Grace's help of course) and counted 54 Uncles/Aunties, Cousins and children on just one side of the family. Before I had finished being introduced to everyone there was food on offer. A table full of fruit (most of which I had never heard of) and more food came out. This was my first experience with Durian (a large spikey fruit with very strong smell). Once you get into it (not a simple task) it has soft creamy flesh. It was good, although not my favourite fruit.
Grace in front of her Grandmother's home.
I found this place fascinating since it is not far from a big city but has a sort of small village feel to it. There is a very different driving style over here. You change lanes when you like, (sometimes without indicating), push your way in when you need to. People are quite tolerant though. I guess for every time you cut someone off, you expect it to happen to you.
Tonight we went to a local (2 minute walk) restaurant and had steamboat for dinner. This is a bowl of boiling soup in the middle of the table where we add whatever we want. All the restaurants are very open with fans (essential) and have a very casual feel. LOTS of Chinese tea too!
Later Grace's cousin Marilyn arrived from Germany with 2yr old daughter Lana. Lana's dad speaks to her in German so occasionally she speaks German and no one except her mum can understand.
Thursday, August 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment